2013 Healthcare Internet Hall of Fame Innovative Provider Organization Inductee
As an extension of Cleveland Clinic's mission of putting patients first and its focus on patient experience, Cleveland Clinic’s Social Media strategy is to generate engagement and conversation around a mixture of evidence-based health, wellness and clinical content that is unique to Cleveland Clinic – written and/or approved by Cleveland Clinic physicians and other experts.
This content must improve the everyday health and wellness of our fans and followers, give them hope and offer possible solutions to their health concerns. Cleveland Clinic wants to make a meaningful difference in people's lives while expressing its clinical expertise, spirit of innovation, the kindness and empathy of our caregivers and the benefits of its unique healthcare model. Strategic and tactical decisions about content and distribution are evidence-based and continually optimized by leveraging timely, robust data about user behavior, demographics and psychographics.
Cleveland Clinic distributes this content in a cohesive, coordinated way across the major social channels, using its Health Hub blog as the central source of content and the primary recipient of resulting traffic. Cleveland Clinic has grown its social channels significantly through a combination of advertising on Facebook and Twitter, search engine optimization, cross-channel promotion and other organic promotional efforts.
Some highlights include:
- ClevelandClinic.org is the #1 most visited hospital Web site in the U.S., according to Hitwise, and is projected to receive about 50 million unique visits in 2013.
- Health Hub from Cleveland Clinic – its health, wellness and medical blog – now receives about 900,000-1 million unique visits a month. Its content is featured on Yahoo’s Health section and promoted on various news sites, including CNN.com and FoxNews.com
- As a result of aggressive advertising and an excellent user-focused experience, Cleveland Clinic’s Facebook page now has approximately 700,000 fans, #3 in the industry and #1 among multi-specialty hospitals.
- Cleveland Clinic has more than 45,000 followers on LinkedIn, which is #1 in the industry.
- In 2013, Cleveland Clinic launched a new Instagram account and has held three Google Hangouts on Air with Cleveland Clinic doctors in the second half of 2013. Its Instagram account features several videos.
- Cleveland Clinic’s “Empathy” video, released in 2013, has been viewed more than 1.1 million times on YouTube, making it the #1 most viewed video produced by a hospital or hospital system.